BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, December 13, 2010

When Life Hands You Lemons....Bake or Cook Something

Okay, today was a pretty good day. Mercury hasn't been very kind but I succeeded anyway. My recipes will reflect the days events and the saying "When life hands you lemons make lemonade"(or in this case Lemon Squares and Lemon Soup). Despite the fact that my dishwasher seemed to have a mind of its own and was doing funky things all afternoon forbidding me to get my dishes done in a timely manner I managed to get my house cleaning done and my dishes clean without fail.  My neighbor had guests and as I was pulling in front of my house to my little tiny spot I have for my van, the neighbor's guest decides she can't wait one teeny tiny millisecond (I put my pointer finger up to motion "just a minute" to her and smiled laughing, literally out loud because I park like a little old lady LOL) she was apparently in a hurry and decides to turn her car around from the side of the street she was on to my side of the street without even a grin.

"Bah Humbug Lady!"

I get inside the house  and finish cleaning. I run for gas and wanted to head to the dollar store when I realize that I missed the street I wanted to turn onto. Darnit! I get home and head upstairs here to do my blog for today since I missed yesterday and the day before. Gotta remain diligent ya know. I hear rustling in the bedroom adjacent to the loft here where I'm just typing away and I have no clue what it is because all the kids were downstairs. It's our dog. Our 40 some pound border collie/blue heeler, Rocky, is in the bathtub. LOLL He's been acting strangely tonight.  First thought in my head was "Earthquake??" Nahhhh....he's been hanging all over me and just acting...well, jumpy since my daughter and I got home. Crazy! I just went downstairs to get my cell phone and as I turned the corner at the top of the steps, the dog literally ran into me and just about knocked me over here.

Fun times. Fun times.

So for those days where they are a little sweet and sour, balance it out with some toasty warm Lemon Rice soup or, for the ultimate sugar junkies like me...make some lemon squares. Either one is guaranteed to make you smile. Lemon rice soup is awesome. I kid you not. Most of my friends have cringed at the thought of lemon in a soup, but this soup is oh so yummy. Trust me. Make one small pot for yourself if you must, just to try it out.

LEMON RICE SOUP

Ingredients:
10 cups boiled water
1/2 cup chicken base(I use about five cans of chicken broth instead as I have no base, then I just use 5 cups of boiled water instead of 10)
2 cups of Rice * I have used Minute Rice, and my mom uses Orzo as well for a bit of variety to this recipe as well instead of the "standard" rice*


1 stick butter
4 tablespoons cornstarch
salt
pepper
Lemon Juice


Simmer first three ingredients for about 30 mins or so. Then, in another pan you want to melt 1 stick of margarine and 4 tablespoons cornstarch. Gradually add 5 cups of milk stirring constantly so it doesn't lump up on ya. Then just add salt, pepper and Lemon juice to your liking. Add it to the soup mixture(DON'T just  pour it in there. Use a giant serving spoon or ladle to gradually add it to the soup mix)


LEMON SQUARES
2 cups flour
1/2 cup powder sugar
4 eggs
pinch of salt
1 cup of butter
2 cups of sugar
6 tablespoons of lemon juice
4 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Mix flour, butter, powder sugar and salt together with a fork. Press into a 9X13" pan. Bake. * When you press the dough into the pan, be sure to raise the sides up a bit because when you pour the liquid filling in you need something to kind of "catch" it so it doesn't burn on the sides when you bake it.

Mix the rest of the ingredients together in your blender. About two minutes on a low-med speed should do the trick. Pour over the baked crust.  Bake 25 more minutes.  Cool. Cut and sprinkle powdered sugar on top.

My kids love both these recipes and they are picky eaters.



0 comments: